Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Going Nuts in Joshua Tree

Back in the desert - I hate the desert. I can survive here, but I could not thrive here. A long day of beautiful roads winding and turning their way into the flats; and I finally get to the California line.

And do you know what they do there? They stop all traffic, right at the border, and ask if I have nuts. No, sir, I do not. (You are not getting my Georgia Pecans, you bastards!)

I understand the peril of native species at the hands of the introduced variety, and I promise to be very careful with my nuts, and burn them if they start to go downhill... but I will NOT hand them over, they cost a pretty penny and sleep-loss when I was back in the South.

So anyway, welcome to California; first stop, Joshua Tree.

$25 entrance fee, $15 camping fee, and at the end, next to the sign that says "keep dehydrated!" $.25 for water. All for this:


Which is nice, I guess. But I'm totally done with the desert.

Oh, there were also big piles of rocks that look like someone had dumped them there. Gotta love geologic history!

And some pretty-ness. I guess. For the desert.

No comments: