Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Moon Over My-Hammy for Me!

It was nice to reach Miami... The day after Orlando (et. al.) had found me rocketing down the heart of the state, knowing my newfound 'friend' wouldn't follow, and eventually trolling down the coast through Fort Lauderdale and Hollywood beaches. It was a rainy day and I didn't tary very long, especially in Hollywood, where childhood memories turned to sawdust the moment I stepped onto that Boardwalk. I'm not one for loungers, and feel especially uncomfortable coming across a group of men lounging on the beach; the best guess, always, is they're seeking some sandy eye-candy. Gross. Some people fear specific races. I fear a specific gender.

So I get my butt over to Miami but the house is locked and my Uncle won't return until the next day. I find a shady place to sleep and prattle down the road to my Grandmother's house in Miami Springs. Shaken by my latest encounter with humans, I try to relax and over-indulge in some bad television. The couch is comfy and there's a bed waiting for me, there's nothing more I could ask for. Maybe some internet access, but I find it here and there on the porch.

Hanging out with my Uncle was a treat. Turns out he was just IN Saint Augustine; his softball team from Westport, CT rented out a condominium for a tournament they were in. Had communication been a bit better, I'd have avoided the whole Anastasia catastrophe! But oh well, things happen for a reason, and I won't be making the same mistake twice (what mistake was that? Ahh yes, lingering). His softball team, the Slaterock, won second place. Here's my Uncle Bobby with a trophy glove from the ordeal:


He's also a hand-model. Can you tell he's done this kind of thing before?

Sure his hands are pretty, but they know how to work; like my mother, my Uncle is a massage therapist. Currently he works for several of the upscale spas in town, and brought me with on a tour of a "day in the life" of the rich folk. The bathroom in the spa was incredible

And I spent some time on the second-story pool, observing the Miami traffic beneath me.

But alas, I couldn't help but observe a poor woman begging from the Mercedes and BMWs waiting in a line of traffic below, which brought me to a stunning conclusion; I could never live like that. Yes it would be nice to wake up and fall asleep in the lap of luxury, but I could never pretend to be above my fellow people; it would be awfully hard to live so high above it all when there are so many struggling below.

My Uncle was quite entertaining though; we're talking about one of my mother's little brothers. My mother is a trip, crazy, but in a good way; spending time with her childhood playmate was a ball for me. He showed me footage of Hawaiin waves (holy expletive), made me some nice kona coffee, shared stories from his work and overall made my stay in south Florida a relaxing and inviting one. I chased around some lizards in the front and back yard:

And he took me to the only surf break in Miami beach:

Scoff if you will; I surely did. But I was also amused to see a cargo ship hauling the freights I'd so often seen on the highways:

I also tagged along to one of his softball games. Here he is in action:

Thanks Uncle Bobby! Literally. My Uncle also plays drums for a rock and roll band. And that very Alf is always an accompaniment.

More pictures of the house, just 'cus it brings me back (last time I was here I may have been 11 or 12...):

My Room

The House at Large

The Pink Flowers

No comments: